Brief Summary of Job Description
The Facilities Management and Planning Department is seeking applications for a full-time Utility Operator for the 24-hour operations of the Central Utility Plant.
- Operate, and monitor high and low-pressure boilers and related equipment.
- Operate, maintain, and monitor chillers, large air conditioning units, and related equipment.
- Monitor the performance of campus equipment through the computerized energy management system, take corrective action, and report problems to the proper authority.
- Perform preventive maintenance and repair of high-pressure steam boilers, chillers, utility distribution systems, and utility equipment.
- Make rounds on campus, note deficiencies, take corrective actions, and complete operator logs.-
- May respond to calls from supervisor or facilities service desk dispatcher regarding environmental concerns and correct problems.
- Relieve other Plant Operators as needed and assume all duties of that shift.
- Perform pipefitting work as needed.
- Perform maintenance, preventive maintenance on all HVAC and mechanical equipment including belt changes, lubrication of equipment, cleaning, pump repair, system analysis, air filter changes, coil cleaning, etc.
- Request parts and materials from the supervisor. Complete work order tickets, materials/services request forms, leave request forms, inspection reports, log sheets, and other required paperwork.
- Assists in the training of others as needed in all areas.
- Read, interpret, and follow blueprints, shop drawings, and schematics.
- Must be able to work independently, with little supervision.
- Must perform all work in a safe and professional manner.
- Primary hours will be a rotating 10/12 hour shift
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
High school diploma or GED and valid motor vehicle operator’s license.
Two years of mechanical experience. Strong human relation abilities, excellent oral and written communication skills.
Physical demands of the position are heavy lifting up to 49 pounds, walking, climbing, and bending flexibility.
Must be able to work safely in varying temperature extremes since the equipment is often located on rooftops and other unconditioned spaces. Safely work off ladders, scaffolding, platforms, and other types of lifts.
Schedule 10-12 hour rotating Shift. Days, Nights, and Weekends
Desired Start Date 05/28/2021
UNK is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity employer. Veterans and persons with disabilities encouraged to apply.