Health Sciences Advisor, Health Science Programs
Health Sciences Advisor
Brief Summary of Job Description
The University of Nebraska at Kearney is accepting applications for a health science academic advisor. The primary function of the position will be to serve as the academic and career advisor for pre-health science students. Other duties may include the coordination of job shadowing and volunteer opportunities, working with prospective students and recruitment events, assisting with Health Science Club and Honors Society activities, scholarship selections, promoting and maintaining relationships with health science professional schools and clinical programs, and other responsibilities as assigned. This position will include supervising shadowing courses and teaching one credit hour health careers courses for health science students.
- Serve as the academic advisor for 250+ health science students with responsibilities including general advising and career counseling, pre-registration advising, New Student Enrollment, and Transfer Days.
- Assist with coordination of job shadowing and observation hours for students; further, develop and maintain local shadowing opportunities; to assist and monitor those students enrolled to receive credit for their shadowing experiences.
- Assist with recruitment activities including College Fairs, Loper Days, daily high school visits, high school inquiries, the Health Careers Fair, and special events.
- Assist with the sponsorship of the Health Science Club, the AED Honors Society, and other student organizations relating to Health Sciences; coordinate event planning; work with and oversee student workers; marketing and advertising.
- Assist with coordination of scholarship programs and the selection process.
- Coordinate volunteer opportunities for students both on campus and within the Kearney community.
- Assist with promoting and maintaining relationships with local healthcare providers, professional schools, and clinical programs.
- Event planning – Assist with Health Science events and activities including the Health Careers Fair, Bruner Hall Science Day, KHOP Scholarship days, and so forth.
- Administrative duties including such things as newsletters, outreach, data tracking, managing the Health Sciences webpage, and use of social media.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Health Science Programs.
- Master’s Degree
- Strong people skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Managerial and organizational skills
- Ability to oversee and coordinate activities
- Computer literacy including strong knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
- Two years experience in higher education; knowledge of health care education programs; academic advising experience.
Schedule Monday-Friday, 8 am - 5 pm, 40 hours, some nights and weekends
Desired Start Date 08/16/2021
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/ Disabled