Brief Summary of Job Description
- Under the direction of Director of Facilities Management and Planning, the Custodial Manager is responsible for the cleanliness, appearance and working environment of over 2.0 million square feet of academic buildings and residence halls. This position provides direct supervision of three staff and indirect supervision of over 50 staff, which includes hiring, training, evaluation and retention issues. This includes support before, during and after special events.
- Provides leadership to custodial services in planning, establishing and maintaining the highest achievable programs commensurate with the resources made available.
- Responsible for the planning, coordinating, and scheduling of daily custodial operations and special custodial projects as it affects campus operations, directly and through delegation of duties. Responsible for the timely treatment and elimination of various pests from campus buildings, including various insects, rodents and birds.
- Responsible for hiring, training, retaining staff, motivating subordinates; evaluates performance of custodial personnel; counsel’s employees; prepares and submits disciplinary action and incident reports; EEO and AA.
- Operate within authorized budget; evaluate fiscal needs for establishing priority spending, and creating effective cost controls; generally manage fiscal resources in a prudent manner.
- Ensures employees are following safe work procedures. Adhere to applicable laws, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Coordinates common training needs with other managers in Facilities Management and Planning.
- Develops unique training programs necessary for the improvement of overall operation.
- Uses a Quality Audit Program as a tool to verify quality of work performed, and for remedial training for assigned employees.
- Provides regular communication with individuals, departments and the campus. May work irregular hours, including assisting with events. Will be part of the first response team for facilities in the event of an emergency. Special programs/projects and other duties as assigned.
High school diploma; Minimum four years previous experience in facility operations and maintenance; Minimum two years previous supervisory experience; Valid driver’s license; Strong human relations abilities; Excellent oral and written communication skills and demonstrated leadership capabilities. Knowledge of routine nightly or daytime facility cleaning and related services.
Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field; Experience in custodial maintenance; University or college supervisory experience; Membership and/or training from APPA, IEHA, ISSA, BOMA or similar facilities professional association.
Must be able to lift/push/pull a minimum of 50lbs.
Schedule Monday - Friday. May work irregular hours to assist with events and respond to emergency situations.
Desired Start Date 10/01/2021
Special Conditions for Eligibility
Applicant must pass a post offer background check and employment testing.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/ Disabled