Assistant Director of Student Development
Assistant Director of Student Development
Brief Summary of Job Description
The Thompson Scholars Learning Community is seeking an Assistant Director of Student Development beginning August 2021.
The TSLC Assistant Director of Student Development plays an integral role in helping Thompson Scholars succeed at UNK. The primary responsibilities of the Assistant Director of Student Development include:
- Hire, train, develop and supervise undergraduate TSLC peer mentors
- Assist with operations related to departmental and academic procedures/processes and the assessment of student and program success
- Support Thompson Scholars to reach their educational and personal goals This Assistant Director must have a strong commitment to student access, inclusivity, and achievement, and be willing to advocate for at-promise students who receive the Susan Thompson Buffett Foundation Scholarship.
- Thorough work in welcoming/knowing individual students, building a community amongst students, and delivering individualized attention that leads to students reaching educational goals/graduation is expected.
- Commitment to the program's mission, vision, and goals alongside the institutional mission is imperative. Knowledge of current higher education best practices, policies, and procedures is necessary.
- The Assistant Director of Student Development must possess excellent communication skills, interpersonal skills, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Must be able to use independent judgment, initiative, organization, creativity, flexibility, and technology skills on a regular and ongoing basis with a focus on student success.
- Master’s degree in education, counseling, student affairs, educational leadership, or related field.
- 1-2 years of professional experience with a higher education department with demonstrated skills in departmental operations.
- Ability to interact with and relate to college students; desire to help diverse, first-generation, and at-promise students transition to college life, and commitment to assisting students to achieve their educational and personal goals.
- Must have experience with training and supervising college student staff members.
- Experience teaching in higher education settings and knowledge of collegiate academic success skills.
- Experience with assessment planning, implementation, and analysis.
- Demonstrated experience with technology systems for teaching and managing student information in higher education, as well as skill with database management and social media.
- Ability to plan and maintain a budget on an annual basis.
- Excellent communication skills, listening skills, decision-making skills, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to interact positively & ethically with students and professionals in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Must be able to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines with accuracy, while always keeping student success the number one priority.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must be willing to work some nights and weekends.
- Shows commitment to continuing professional development and best practices for higher education and student services.
- 2+ years of experience working with learning communities or 2+ years of professional experience with the higher education department.
- 2+ years of teaching experience in the collegiate setting.
- 2+ years of experience with training and supervising professional staff, graduate assistants, or student staff members.
- Experience with the Thompson Scholars Learning Community programs or other learning communities. Demonstrated experience with higher education academic advising.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
Sitting, standing, keyboarding, filing, kneeling, bending, reaching, crawling, climbing stairs, walking on rough ground, using equipment, traveling by car (passenger/driver), lifting, and moving items for programs (0-49 lbs).
Schedule Monday-Friday, 8 AM-5 PM, and some evenings and weekends
Desired Start Date 08/03/2021
UNK is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity employer. Veterans and persons with disabilities encouraged to apply.