Reports To: Production Manager
Work Schedule: Rotating 12 hour shifts including nights, weekends, and holidays
Location: Ravenna, Nebraska
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Hourly or Salary: Hourly
Employment Status: Full-time
The Operator’s primary duties are ensuring the plant is running efficiently in the following areas: hammermills, boilers, centrifuges, distillation, dehydration, evaporation, cooling tower and methanator.
KAAPA Ethanol Ravenna, LLC employee and team member
- Establish and maintain the highest integrity of KAAPA Ethanol Holdings, LLC.
- Maintain confidentiality of all KAAPA Ethanol Holdings, LLC information.
- Work with all employees and represent KAAPA Ethanol Holdings, LLC in a professional and respectful manner.
- Comply with and follow all corporate guidelines.
- Ensure a safe workplace by attending all safety meetings, following all safety policies, and strictly adhering to all standard precautions and practices established to reduce the potential of occupational exposures.
- Practice the proper use and treatment of all KAAPA Ethanol Holdings, LLC equipment and property.
- Consult with the prior shift operators before beginning each shift including reviewing records and checking the current status.
- Accurately and promptly complete all log books and other daily record keeping tasks.
- Test and record findings on all required equipment as designated on the log sheet
- Complete required tests and record information for the dryer, distillation, evaporation, boiler chemistry, dehydration, cook, fermentation, and yeast propagation.
- Extract samples lab for analysis. (alcohol, syrup, etc.).
- Check enzyme pumps every hour and check enzyme rates four times per shift, record or calibrate information as required.
- Check and report the CIP tank strength before the end of each shift.
- Visually inspect and clean fermenters each time they are emptied and CIP propagators on an as determined by management basis.
- Report any discrepancies or variances to the crew chief as soon as you become aware of them.
- Be aware of which grain bin is being filled and emptied.
- Ensure all areas of the plant are orderly by cleaning the area after each job is completed.
- Keep current on the status of all operating equipment in your section such as:
- Water to pump seals
- Oil in pump glasses
- Vibration of pumps or motors
- Levels in critical tanks
- Listening for unusual noises
- Keep informed on hazardous conditions of any kind, including:
- Bases-caustic, ammonia
- Acids-sulfuric, sulfamic, phosphoric
- High pressure and/or temperatures (I.E.: steam, condensate, distillate, syrup, thin stillage)
- Grabbing of hot samples-cook area, cip
- Use of hot water-flush water, steam
- Chemical barrel wash-versene, antifoam, Bleach
- Process equipment- couplers, mixers
- Chemical spill containment-acid, caustic
- Additional area as identified by safety committee members
- Participate in cross-training opportunities to expand skills and knowledge at KAAPA Ethanol Ravenna, LLC.
- Assist other operators in loading DWGS trucks as yard traffic dictates additional help.
- Assist other operators in loading railcars and alcohol trucks and unloading denaturant as required.
- Other duties not listed herein, but which need to be accomplished to maintain safe and timely day-to-day operations within the plant.
Qualifications & Skills
Education, License and/ or Certification:
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Valid driver’s license in the state of Nebraska required and insurable with KAAPA Ethanol, LLC vehicle insurance policy
- Knowledge of grain handling systems is preferred
- Ability to read and communicate effectively in English
- Knowledge of railcars or trackmobile beneficial
- Basic computer experience
Physical & Work Environment
- Must be able to exert up to 75 lbs. of force occasionally, up to 50 lbs. of force frequently, and up to 35 lbs. of force constantly to move objects.
- Frequent moderate lifting, pulling, pushing, climbing and carrying
- Requires both simple and firm grasping and some fine manipulating
- Ability to distinguish most colors but specifically the following colors: red, green, yellow, blue
- Indoors and outdoors with exposure to extreme temperatures and proper personal protective equipment where applicable.
KAAPA Ethanol Holdings, LLC maintains a Drug Free Workplace and employees must pass a physical, eye examination, and drug/alcohol test prior to employment.