Recreation Leader - Tennis Center
Recreation Leader - Tennis Center
Deadline: Thursday, October 28, 2021
Location: Park & Recreation - Recreation, Kearney, NE 68845
Department: Park & Recreation/Recreation
Job Status: Full-Time
Days: Sun., Mon., Tue., Wed., Thu., Fri., Sat.
Rate of Pay: $20.31 - $28.57
Status: Accepting Applications
Job Description Summary
Under general supervision, manage the City’s Tennis Center and coordinate, implement, supervise, teach and evaluate tennis and other racquet sport programs, leagues and special events for persons of all ages in the community. Work varies, requiring interpretive judgment within prescribed standards and procedures.
Perform basic reception duties to make visitors feel welcome; develop, plan, organize and schedule year-round tennis and other racquet sport programs, leagues and events for youth and adults; perform hands-on teaching functions on occasion; develop lesson plans; research and develop new tennis and racquet programs; attend and monitor activities as required; recruit, hire, train, and supervise seasonal recreation employees that include instructors, coaches, and facility monitors; obtain program sponsorships; coordinate maintenance and upkeep of equipment and facilities; coordinate schedule with the University of Nebraska-Kearney, Kearney Tennis Association, and other entities; reserve court space for participants; accept admission fees and season pass sales; assist in budget preparation and review program expenditures and revenues; assist with the evaluation and implementation of the annual fee schedule; promote safety in all aspects of the job; explain and enforce department policies; conduct public relation programs to encourage community involvement; serve as liaison with participant groups and organizations using various methods to promote the Tennis Center and programs to maximize utilization, retention, and attendance; assist with other recreation division programs and events when needed; work nights and weekends when required; perform overtime as required and performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education & Requirements
High school diploma/GED with one-year experience playing and instructing tennis with the ability to coordinate programs. Prefer facility management experience and/or Bachelor’s degree in Recreation, Physical Education, Sports Administration, Leisure Services or closely related field. Strong computer skills and a valid drivers license required. Must obtain First Aid / CPR certification within first three months of employment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Mental Requirements -
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to read and comprehend written material
- Ability to maintain accurate records
- Ability to listen to and apply information and instructions
- Ability to understand mathematical concepts and basic arithmetic
- Work Type: Medium, exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects
- Climbing/Balancing: Moderate, ability to sit and stand
- Walking: Moderate amount required
- Stooping/Bending: Frequently
- Stand/Sit: Sit about 50 percent of the time
- Reaching: Moderate, overhead as well as horizontal
- Vision: Adequate to perform essential job functions
- Color Vision: Adequate to perform essential job functions
- Hearing: Frequently perceive nature of sounds by ear
- Speech: Frequently express ideas by means of spoken words
- Eye/Hand/Foot Coordination: Occasionally operates equipment requiring moderate ability
- Manual Dexterity: Occasionally operates equipment requiring moderate ability
The City of Kearney is a Drug and Alcohol Free Workplace and an EOE.