Recreation Coordinator Special Events, Youth Camps, Concessions
Closes On: September 23, 2021 at 11:59 PM CST
Location: Park & Recreation - Recreation, Kearney, NE 68845
Department: Park & Recreation/Recreation
Job Status: Full-Time
Days: Sun., Mon., Tue., Wed., Thu., Fri., Sat.
Rate of Pay: $44,822 - $63,028
Status: Accepting Applications
Job Description Summary
Coordinate, implement, supervise, teach and evaluate youth camp programs, special events and concessions. Assist with youth and adult athletic programs, leagues and tournaments. Work varies, requiring interpretive judgment within prescribed standards and procedures.
Develop, plan, organize and schedule year-round recreational camps for youth; oversee management of concessions including facility, staff, inventory, sales, etc; assist with the coordination of athletic programs, leagues and events for youth and adults; perform hands-on teaching functions; develop lesson plans; research and develop new youth programs and special events; attend and monitor activities as required; recruit, hire, train, supervise and evaluate a large staff of seasonal recreation employees that include instructors, coaches, and concession attendants; obtain program sponsorships; coordinate maintenance and upkeep of equipment and facilities; promote programs through various methods, assist in budget preparation and review program expenditures and revenues; promote safety in all aspects of the job; explain and enforce department policies; conduct public relation programs to encourage community involvement; serve as liaison with participant groups and organizations; work nights and weekends when required; perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education & Requirements
Bachelor’s degree in Recreation, Physical Education, Leisure Services or closely related field. One year experience with basic understanding of special event and/or recreational program coordination implementation, and experience working with, leading and supervising, youth in an organized environment. Knowledgeable in the area of concession sales and inventory. Strong computer skills. Must obtain First Aid / CPR certification within first six months of employment; possession of a valid Nebraska driver’s license.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Mental Requirements -
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to read and comprehend written material
- Ability to maintain accurate records
- Ability to listen to and apply information and instructions
- Ability to understand mathematical concepts and basic arithmetic
Work Type: Medium, exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects
- Climbing/Balancing: Moderate, ability to sit and stand
- Walking: Moderate amount required
- Stooping/Bending: Frequently
- Stand/Sit: Sit about 50 percent of the time
- Reaching: Moderate, overhead as well as horizontal
- Vision: Adequate to perform essential job functions
- Color Vision: Adequate to perform essential job functions
- Hearing: Frequently perceive nature of sounds by ear
- Speech: Frequently express ideas by means of spoken words
- Eye/Hand/Foot Coordination: Occasionally operates equipment requiring moderate ability
- Manual Dexterity: Occasionally operates equipment requiring moderate ability
The City of Kearney is a Drug and Alcohol Free Workplace and an EOE.